Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:05:00 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [POLL] need a good name for share/mk API versioning

--eRtJSFbw+EEWtPj3

Hi!

Recently, some backwards incompatible changes were purposedly
introduced to the share/mk API, particularly to bsd.lib.mk and
bsd.incs.mk (include files).  Everything is OK with src/, but
some ports/ that rely on FreeBSD's share/mk API should be able
to use both old (currently in -STABLE, soon to be upgraded to
the new API) and new versions of the API, so we need to somehow
differentiate these APIs.  The solution is to add the FreeBSD
specific make(1) variable that could be used to differentiate
different API versions.

So I would like to run a short pool as to what the name of this
variable should be (the draft is _FREEBSD_MK_API_VERSION), and
what should be its numbering scheme.  I would like this numbering
scheme to be a monotonically increasing natural number.  This
would be good because the same numbering scheme would be used in
both -STABLE and -CURRENT, and would be bad because specific
backwards incompatible API changes should be merged in the same
order as they were applied to -CURRENT.

The variable must be put into sys.mk (so that it's always
defined), and one option it to use an already existing
=2EFreeBSD variable.

Your bet please.  I will wait until Monday for poll to settle.

Thanks,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,