Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 10:51:02 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Sascha Blank <blank@fox.uni-trier.de>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren?= Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>, chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey), gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   CTM - "He's back"

I'm here and operations are restored.
I am generating updates at this very moment.
Expect them to go out in the next few hours.

(Now for the thousands of e-mail messages)

At 7:53 AM -0500 5/30/97, Sascha Blank wrote:

>  Søren> But your problems wont end there :(
>
>  Søren> It seems the CTM generation has halted,

>First of all to stand up for Richard: About a week ago ... let his
>machines run without his personal administration.

First let me thank Sascha for stepping up in my absence.
It is always nice to know that we can make this a collective effort.

I had to leave hurriedly and had time to get off only a brief message or
two. I chose to send the message privately to Sascha rather than disturb
everyone unnecessarily. Had I returned 48 hours sooner, I doubt that anyone
would have particularly missed me.

>  Søren> I think we should try find CTM a new home, it has been much
>  Søren> to unreliable lately. What does it take ?? a few gigs of disk
>  Søren> and a machine with resonable connectivity ??
>
>Søren, I think you are blaming the wrong guy. Since Richard has taken
>over the CTM production it is working like a charm

Until last Thursday. My machine locked up and did not automatically reboot. :-(
If I had been around, it would not have been such a problem.

>Therefore we should consider changing something about the
>distribition, not the generation.

>I known from past discussions with Richard that has wants
>these problems to be solved as soon as anybody else does.

The distribution problem is my greatest headache at the moment. As Sascha
noted, we bypass freebsd.org to assure that someone outside my site gets
them so the rest of you can find them.

Recently, ftp.freebsd.org has now started rejecting the updates with a
mailer error there, however, that is another problem.

As for the generation of the updates, I previously suggested that reliance
on a single machine is a weak point and that I would welcome letting
someone else participate. So far, there have been no volunteers.

I have even thought out a scheme that would allow us to have a redundant
generation scheme. If someone has the diskspace and the willingness, I will
gladly work out details with them so that it will require a double failure
before you see more than a minor blip in the generation.