Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 00:36:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Simple Virtual Private Network ToolKit

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Robert Watson wrote:
> I am currently in the process of putting together a simple VPN toolkit
> using the FreeBSD Tunnel Device (/dev/tun?), and was wondering if
> existing work existed in this area.

I'm working on a kernel level tunnel driver that would in theory be easy
to hack the features you describe into.  I've taken a very generalized
approach to the actual encapsulation so plugging new routines in the
processing path should be just a matter of code.

tunnel0: flags=11<UP,POINTOPOINT> mtu 1480
	inet 10.0.5.1 --> 10.0.5.2 netmask 0xfffffffe
        transport: (INET) src 10.0.1.60 dst 10.0.1.10
        media: IPIP(94) status: ready
        supported media: ENCAP(98) IPIP(94) GRE(47) IP_ENCAP(4)

I've not got as far as implementing UDP tunnels or ICMP tunnels :) but
such things are possible as is IPX over IP etc.

/*
   Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for life
   winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
   http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
*/