Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 23:07:11 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>, Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware reads disk on non-sector boundary

--XF85m9dhOBO43t/C

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 01:35:43PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> >=20
> > Take a look at /sys/compat/linux/linux_stats.c,
> >=20
> >     revision 1.29
> >     date: 2001/01/14 23:33:50;  author: joe;  state: Exp;  lines: +18 -=
11
> >     Instead of hard coding the major numbers for IDE and SCSI disks
> >     look in the device's cdevsw for the D_DISK flag.
> >     ----------------------------
> >     This fixes the problem with VMWARE not being able to use raw disks.

This should have read, "Linux uses block devices to access raw
drives, but we've got rid of them in -current and so VMWare is
having a hard time running off raw partitions.  Pretending that
disk character device nodes are block devices appears to make VMWare
run off raw drives again."

>=20
> but it still doesn't help with partial block reads..
>=20

That didn't appear to be a problem with VMWare2.

Joe
--=20
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain;
and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Albert
Einstein, 1921

--XF85m9dhOBO43t/C

--XF85m9dhOBO43t/C--