Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2018 19:31:14 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>, "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS: Can't find pool by guid

On 29-4-2018 18:53, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 28/4/18 8:46 pm, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I upgraded a server from 10.4 to 11.1 and now al of a sudden the
>> server complains about:
>>     ZFS: Can't find pool by guid
>> And I end up in the boot prompt:
>>
>> lsdev gives disk0 withe on p1 the partion that the zroot is/was.
>>
>> This is an active server, so redoing install and stuf is nog going to
>> be real workable....
>>
>> So how do I get this to boot?

> did you try
>
>    zpool import -d /dev

That did work once, but the second time it found this weird 'zfs' pool.
And then things got a lot harder to get back to the actual pools that
should be on the disk.

In the end I mounted both with a mem-stick, and made aagin another
backup to be safe. And then reinstalled the system.
So it's up and running again, but still sort of baffled. I've not been
hit by something this fatal in a very long time...

--WjW