Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 14:33:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

> > Making folks build their own custom kernels is a step in the wrong
> > direction.  We should be providing 'out-of-the-box' solutions solutions
> > for them in the same manner as pre-built ports.
>
> I will fully support this opinion as soon as we have pageable kernel
> memory.  Right now, the kitchen-sink kernel wastes a few hundred pages
> of valuable physical memory for the average user, i think that's a
> very high price.

Huh?  The kernel that we used to ship vs. the kernel we know will ship
(unless Jordan changes his mind) is only different by at most 1-2
pages.  We haven't gained the end-user anything significant and caused
him more trouble.

And, I think the average user would be willing to 'waste' a 100K or so
to not have to take up 40MB of disk space for his own custom kernel,
which requires sys and usrsbin sources.

Nate