Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:39:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
To:        d@delphij.net
Cc:        obrien@freebsd.org, freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Renaming our threads libs

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, LI Xin wrote:

> David O'Brien wrote:
>> We have little time before 7.0-RELEASE to get this right..
>>
>> For consistency and expectations from users (especially of other OS's),
>> should we ask RE@ to rename libpthread to libkse (or whatever) and rename
>> libthr to libpthread?  Remember - what we release 7.0 will be burned into
>> folks Makefile's and vernacular.
>
> Do you mean repocopy from src/lib/libpthread -> src/lib/libkse?  Because
> libpthread.so.X is now installed as a symbolic link to actual default
> threading library I think it would be an overkill to rename libthr to
> libpthread, but to reduce confusion it might be better to rename
> lib/libpthread to lib/libkse.

I think it's fine just the way it is.  Everyone currently knows
libpthread and libthr by name.  libpthread is currently installed
as libkse.  I don't think you need to repo copy the src tree
to match, unless there is too much heartburn over having the
src directory named differently from the library.  I think
libthr should remain named as it currently is.

The links are a convenient way to swap between either of
the two (or future) libraries as default and still leave a
visible sign as to which library is the default.  So I
really think those should stay as they are.

--
DE