Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 18:33:50 -0400
From:      Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
Cc:        keramida@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: (man page || manpage) => manual page

On Wed, 29 May 2002 18:03:07 -0400
Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com> wrote:

> 	So this raises a question I've been wondering about. Sorry if
> it's a FAQ -- I haven't stumbled across it yet.
>
> 	What is the dividing line between entities and tags? I'd

Entities allow you to assign a name to some chunk of data, and
use that name to refer to that data.  For instance, you could
define an entire url, or copyright in an entity and use:

&copyright;

throught the document to instantly add the copyright to the
document.  Its really nice if you wish to put a large bit
of information in several documents.  Using this same idea,
you can put the date in the copyright entity, and it will
change throught the documents, instead of making modifications
to several documents, its just one modification to a single
file.

> think it would be more XML-ish and reusable to use something like:
>
> 	<citerefentry>
> 	  <refentrytitle>lame</refentrytitle>
> 	  <manvolnum>1</manvolnum>
> 	</citerefentry>
>
> 	than "&man.lame.1;". What's the dividing line that falls
> between man pages and other tagged items, that makes man an entity
> (in all the pages I've looked at so far, anyway)?

Our man tags are custom to the FreeBSD project, taking the user/reader
to our
version of the specified manual page.  Many manual pages differ from
operating system to operating system (for instance, drivers) and this
lets us define a link to a man page search engine...

This also differs in fact that, the man entity is not standard in
html or DocBook for that matter (unless you define it), unlike the
usual: &copy; &trade; that works in HTML and DocBook (others?)

Catch what I'm (probly badly) trying to say?

> 					Thx,
>

> 					Chris Pepper
>
> At 12:47 AM +0300 2002/05/30, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>
> >When &man.xxx.y; references are being made I prefer the style that
> >Jeroen suggested to me a long time ago.  Instead of writing:
>
> >  > 	Additional encoding options can be found by consulting the
> >>  -	lame man page.</para>
> >>  +	lame manual page.</para>
> >
> >Since `lame' is used in IRC to denote 'silly', 'idiot', or similar,
> >you will probably want to change this part.  Make it something like:
> >
> >	by consulting
> >	<citerefentry>
> >	  <refentrytitle>lame</refentrytitle>
> >	  <manvolnum>1</manvolnum>
> >	</citerefentry>.
> >
> >This emulates the functionality of &man.lame.1;.  You can even make
> >this a local entity in the file that references the manpage, by
> >adding to the <!DOCTYPE> element the proper stuff:
> >
> >     [ <!ENTITY man.lame.1
> >"<citerefentry/<refentrytitle/lame/<manvolnum/1//"> ]
> >
> >and then using &man.lame.1; as usual.
>
> --
> Chris Pepper:               <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>;
> Rockefeller University:        <http://www.rockefeller.edu/>;