Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 12:03:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long username/password

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> >Don't install the DES libcrypt libraries; DES passwords are 8 characters,
> >MD5 are (effectively) infinite. Long user names are already supported, I
> >do believe.
>
> Infinite ?  I thought they only honoured the first 16 chars in this case ?

Well, I wasn't quite correct here.

PASSWORD_LEN = 128

MD5 (i.e. crypt() if you don't have the DES libraries, or you're using my
libcrypt replacement) just does a hash over whatever string is presented
to it, which passwd(1) limits to a max of PASSWORD_LEN characters. crypt()
can deal with effectively infinite passwords, but passwd(1) puts a wrapper
around it.

Kris