Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 20:05:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hollywood (Re: PATCH.M )

> Hi Terry,
>
> Where is code ? If you want me to test or check out the patches just
> let me know.

It was posted to -current under the subject "PATCH.C".

BTW: Doug Rabson has reviewed these patches in my last monolithic
attempt containing the locking patches, the EXCLUDE flag patches,
the nameifree patches, and a number of other namei cleanups.

The patches I sent him applied cleanly -- most likely because
he did not wait for weeks of kernel changes before applying
them, unlike some people.

His single complaint, which I was unable to resolve to his
satisfaction, was that there was a pathname buffer memory leak
in the NFS server rename code.  The NFS server code must allocate
and free pathname buffers, just as the system call code must
allocate and free pathname buffers: the patch enforced a more
orthogonal VFS interface, and both are VFS consumers.

In order to attempt to resolve his problem, I sent him a kernel
memory leak test framework.  In it, you can snapshot any set
of named VM variables (anything you can get back from vmstat),
and exervice any combination of VOP code paths.  My sample code
included with this framework tests only the namei() freeing VOP's.
It localized the problem, but he was unable to put any time into
fixing it.

These new patches do not include the monolithic changes that
caused him problems: only the things he was prepared to commit
inre: NFS locking.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---