Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:40:05 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: umass: AutoSense failed

On Dec 9, 2010, at 5:11 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 10:35:56PM +0100, Harald Weis wrote:
>> What could be the reason for the following failure?
>>=20
>> ugen2.2: <Sony> at usbus2
>> umass0: <Sony Sony DSC, class 0/0, rev 1.10/4.50, addr 2> on usbus2
>> umass0:  RBC over CBI; quirks =3D 0x0000
>> umass0:1:0:-1: Attached to scbus1
>> (probe0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): AutoSense failed
>>=20
>> This occurs on 4 different boxes, all on 8.1-RELEASE.
>> Never happened on previous releases.
>> The camera works on an Ubuntu system.
>=20
> Please try a 8.1-STABLE or 8.2-PRERELEASE snapshot (you can boot the
> livefs CD or USB memstick image to test) and see if things are =
different
> (improved) there.
>=20
> ftp://ftp4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/201011/
>=20
> 8.x uses a newer/different USB stack than 7.x.

I get something similar to this happening on 8.2-PRERELEASE.  In my =
case, it's not during boot probing or device attachment.  Instead, it =
happens occasionally after boot.  The devices concerned are Maxtor =
OneTouch external USB hard drives.  Every now and then, I will get =
something akin to the following crop up in the console log:

(da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): AutoSense failed

I have three of these Maxtor OneTouch drives attached to the system as =
part of a ZFS pool.  When I get an "AutoSense failed" message, it is =
usually accompanied by the ZFS pool being marked as faulted.

The Maxtor OneTouch drives are wont to spin down and go into a deep =
sleep after a period of inactivity and appear very slow to wake up again =
when I/O occurs.  I have always assumed that the "AutoSense failed" is =
associated with this---that there is some kind of timeout in the FreeBSD =
stack that this device is exceeding.  In fact, sometimes the devices =
fail to probe properly during boot when they are asleep.

This is what the OneTouch normally probes as:

da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <Maxtor OneTouch 0121> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-4 device=20
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 953869MB (1953525168 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 121601C)

Cheers,

Paul.