Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 22:31:46 +0400
From:      =?koi8-r?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
Cc:        FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Pine 3.96/4.00 ports -- patches

On Sun, Jul 12, 1998 at 04:41:12PM +0300, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
> storage class
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
>
>    What does -DTERMCAP_WINS do ? You say "Trust termcap more then built-in
> defaults" in the CVS log -- please explain me what it does and how can we
> convince Pine to build it correctly.

You need to fix syntax error somehow, TERMCAP_WINS is essential. Pine have
homemade set of weak guesses about terminal capabilities; with
TERMCAP_WINS defined, termcap taken first, then weak gueesses, otherwise
guesses taken first over termcap making Pine broken.

> XXX   - [ #define BACKGROUND_POST ]

Is it possible to catch errors with BACKGROUND_POST?

> XXX   - SENDNEWS -- what is the correct path for 'inews' ?
>       - part of the (3.96) file was moved to pico/osdep/os-bsf.h

${PREFIX}/lib/news/inews I think

>   * Pine 3.96: file pine/send.c
>       - forces ENC8BIT when TYPETEXT body
>   * Pine 4.00: file pine/send.c
>       - maintains the patch, just some reformatting

It is essential too, Pine tries to avoid sending Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
text in several places without any reason. Looks like this soft is too
historic from one side, but from other side it likes evilly converts 8bit
text to QP or BASE64 (without a command to do so) making it non-readable.

>   * Pine 3.96: file pine/pine.h
>       - from CVS log: "Move TAG_EMBED from valid Russian letter '\377' to
>         more neutral '\001'" and "Tag quoting not implemented properly
>         cause '\377' chars skipped"
>   * Pine 4.00: file should be pine/pine.h
> XXX   - my opinion: good reason, but I don't like the patch, it's rather
>         a workaround than a good fix, it conflicts with TAG_INVON; we
>         should ask the Pine people about this; I will insert the patch
>         anyway (but probably with a different constant) !

Just move it to another free place outside 040-0377 range for a while.
I already sent this patch to Pine people but they not seems be interested.

>   * Pine 3.96: file pico/tcap.c & pine/ttyout.c
>       - CVS log: "Teach pine/pico about End key" -- sorry, but it doesn't
>         work for me, it just says "[Invalid key pressed. Use ? for help]"
>         Does it work for you ?
>   * Pine 4.00: file should be /pico/osdep/term.cap
>       - the new file has a new structure; it seems that it will accept
>         KEY_END, but it's related to termcap_wins/-DTERMCAP_WINS ?!? It
>         doesn't work now...

You need -DTERMCAP_WINS to make it work for you.

> patch-aq (in pine3, NOT in pine4)
> ---------------------------------
>   * Pine 3.96: files pico/ebind.h & pico/main.h
>       - disables spelling
>   * Pine 4.00: files pico/ebind.h & pico/main.h
> XXX   - I thought we had a spellchecker in FreeBSD, but it seems not; and
>         you say ispell doesn't work... Anyway, I believe The Right
>         Way(tm) to do this is to patch pico/osdep/os-bsf.h and undefine
>         SPELLER ! I'll make the change in the next patch.

ispell works differently, pico assume standard Unix spell.
Undefining SPELLER is not right thing to do, because it breaks alternative
speller in Pine mode, as I remember.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://www.nagual.pp.ru/~ache/