Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 10:01:19 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Luke Hollins <lwh@pathcom.com>
Cc:        sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ultra 1

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 07:49:07AM -0500, Luke Hollins wrote:
> > The hardware list on http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/sparc.html lists
> > the Ultra 1 as unsupported.  What exactly is the problem?  What is the
> > difference between a plain Ultra 1 (unsupported) and an Ultra 1e
> > (supported)?  I'm asking because I may be able to get my hands on an
> > Ultra 1.  I don't know if it has a happymac, but I have a couple lying
> > around, so that shouldn't be a problem.
>
> 	I think the disk controller isn't supported, 5.0R boots fine on a U1/167
> 	here but no disks are found (Sorry I don't have a dmesg).

Not quite accurate -- it boots on a U1E/167
                                      ^
                                      enterprise -- has 10/100 HME
                                      Ethernet vs. Lance.

The difference between a U1 and a U1e is 1. NIC: 10/100Mbit hme(4) vs.
10Mbit Lance, 2. fas wide scsi.  The U1e has the NIC and SCSI of a U2.
U1e (and U2) are supported for diskless only.  scottl is working on
fas(4) for u2/u1e.