Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:17:02 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slightly off topic: Wangtek 5150ES

Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se> wrote:

> sa0 at ncr0 bus 0 target 2 lun 0
> sa0: <WANGTEK 5150ES SCSI FA23 08> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-CCS device
> sa0: 3.300MB/s transfers

> lagrange# tar cf /dev/rsa0 vinum.4.ps
> tar: can't write to /dev/rsa0 : Invalid argument.

> Where do I go wrong? I have a 525Meg tape in the drive. Is it
> possible that the tape is not recognized?

<Sigh> Good you mentioned this, because that's a failure mode I'd
have never thought of.  Yes, of course you need a QIC-150 tape.
Tape type recognition is automatic for QIC drives, although I don't
know the exact mechanism.  A higher capacity tape than the drive
was build for is simply an unknown tape type that the drive will
refuse to read or write.

> Do I have to use another (150Meg?) tape?

The documentation that came with the drive mentions the supported
tape types.  These should be DC6150 (QIC-150, 150MB) and DC6250
(QIC-150, longer tape, 250MB) plus a few older types (QIC-120,
QIC-24) that are still supported for compatibility reasons.

Second-hand DC6[12]50 tapes are ubiquitous, and the tapes are very
longlived, so you should have little trouble finding some.