Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 04:04:38 -0500
From:      john hood <cgull@owl.org>
To:        Burkard Meyendriesch <bm@malepartus.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ECC memory support

On Thu, Oct 22, 1998 at 11:57:01PM +0200, Burkard Meyendriesch wrote:
> thanks for the hint. Yes indeed, I run an AMD K6/233 with ECC enabled;
> last night I upgraded my BIOS. Maybe it will help my spurious errors to
> disappear...
>
> But my original questions are still pending: Isn't there any possibility
> to detect 1-bit errors even if they are detected and corrected by my
> ECC electronics? Isn't there any register of the 82430HX chip set which
> can be examined after an memory error NMI? The only thing I could find is

I coded this hack up a few weeks ago.  It runs from cron.  I can't be
sure it works because it hasn't reported a single-bit error yet :)
It's not exactly user-friendly (you'll need Intel doco to make sense
of the ECC register), but you have to know how your motherboard is
wired up to make sense of the error report anyway.

I'm running it on a '440FX-based board, but my docs on the '430HX
indicate it handles ECC reporting basically the same way, through this
same register.

  --jh

#!/usr/local/bin/bash

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

i=`pciconf -r pci0:0:0 0x90`
SELF=$(( ( $i / 0x100 ) % 2 ))

if [ $SELF -ne 0 ]
then
  pciconf -w pci0:0:0 0x90 $i
  msg="ECC register is $i, register cleared"
  logger $i
  echo $i | mail -s "ECC error" root
fi

--
Mr. Belliveau said, "the difference was the wise,       John Hood,     cgull
intelligent look on the face of the cow."  He was      	                   @