Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 04:54:13 +0000
From:      "sumanth vidyadhara" <sumanth_vi@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   the call to resource_int_value how does it work

Hi,
  I would like to know how does resource_int_value works because there in no
man page for that in freebsd 4.3.
I would like to use this call to read tunable paramters at run time in the
network card driver, since if_fxp driver is already doing that with the
latest source.
Can someone tell me how it works and how to use the device hints to set
those arguments in resource_int_value.

The below code is na extract from if_fxp.c network driver

The parameter prefer_iomap he says populate using hints.

hint.fxp.0.prefer_iomap="1"
How do we get the hints for this device.
and is the tunable populated after kldload at the prompt or before kldload
<module_name>

/*
* Figure out which we should try first - memory mapping or i/o mapping?
* We default to memory mapping. Then we accept an override from the
* command line. Then we check to see which one is enabled.
*/
m1 = PCIM_CMD_MEMEN;
m2 = PCIM_CMD_PORTEN;
prefer_iomap = 0;
if (resource_int_value(device_get_name(dev), device_get_unit(dev),
    "prefer_iomap", &prefer_iomap) == 0 && prefer_iomap != 0) {
m1 = PCIM_CMD_PORTEN;
m2 = PCIM_CMD_MEMEN;
}

The OS version of freebsd is 4.3.