Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 23:46:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jonathan Hanna <pangolin@rogers.wave.ca>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Ouch... (DEVFS)

On 22-Apr-98 Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have two problems with DEVFS (sources are from yesterday).
>
> 1. Running multiuser, as soon as I try to umount the DOS partition,
> machine panics with something like:
>
> _panic
> _wdcontrol
> _wdintr
> Xresume14()
> --- interrupt
> vec14
> _pmap_enter
> _vm_fault
> _trap_pfault
> calltrap
> --- trap
>
>>cont
>
> syncing disks 19 19 19 19 [...] .... giving up
> rebooting
>
> This is 100% repeatable.

Same here. It happens when I mount both an msdos and an ffs slice from
the same disk. I tracked it a little in an earlier version of DEVFS/SLICE:

I don't know how things are supposed to work but
it seems that msdos_unmount is calling wdsclose via VOP_CLOSE,
setting the du->dk_state to CLOSE.
Later an ffs_unmout is done, which tries an operation on
the now closed disk and panics.

I am mounting msdos on wd1s1
and ufs on wd1s2a,e,f,g.

Jonathan Hanna <pangolin@rogers.wave.ca>