Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 13:52:44 +0000
From:      Mark Blackman <markb@met.reading.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DOS/Cyrnwr <---> FreeBSD  ???

Hello,

Should I be able to use the Cyrnwr (DOS) packet driver (plip.com)
with the FreeBSD PLIP implementation? (using the "link0"
flag, of course).  As far as I can tell, I should be able to.

I've currently got 486DX4-75 laptop running DOS + plip.com + NCSA ftp/telnet,
trying to hook up to FreeBSD 2.1.5 (486DX2-50) with the lp0
interface configured and laplink cable (demonstrated to work with
both interlnk.exe and laplink itself).

The DOS end gives up, saying 'local host not responding'.
Using "netstat -s", I can see the (ip) packets being picked up by the kernel
but also being rejected as bad, due to "incorrect version".
I must assume that NCSA ftp/telnet IP packets would be the same version
as the FreeBSD as the IP version (4) has been around for some considerable
time. Therefore, I suspect other problems.

If anyone would like to disabuse me of this notion, then feel free.
Anybody care to tell me i'm barking up the wrong tree?
or point me to the right tree?  I'd be willing to do more diagnostic
work if I knew where to try. tcpdump never sees any of these packets.

thanks in advance,
Mark

---
FreeBSD?  Absolutely Fabulous.