Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:18:29 -0600
From:      Eric Kjeldergaard <kjelderg@gmail.com>
To:        Robert Marella <hoe-waa@hawaii.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo such as

> If I can remember correctly, I have received help from both of you on
> some of my previous posts. I thank you and I always enjoy reading your
> view points.

(speaking on behalf of Jerry as well as myself, and making some wild
assumptions about Jerry based on his previous posts) Always glad to
help.  That's kind of what we are here for.

> We have all run into a problem with a printer, NIC, scanner that is "not
> supported" by FreeBSD because the vendor will not release the drivers or
> code needed to build a driver.

Actually, I haven't.  I know some people that have, but generally
between using the hardware list and buying hardware that isn't
obscure, I have no problems with support  for hardware.  The FreeBSD
team goes way beyond my expectations again and again.

> The vendor could care less if our mascot is a daemon or Mount Fujiyama.
> The vendor looks at the bottom line. How much engineer/programmer time
> will it take and can I recover the investment. The vendor looks at the
> number of installed systems and the competition for his product and
> makes a _business_ decision.

Seems about right.  That is how capitalism functions..

> Anthony's point, and I agree, is that everything will grow when our OS
> is taken for its strengths. It is difficult to get to the point of our
> strengths when the Suits see a representation of what they perceive as;
> childish or anti-christ or cartoonish whether justified or not. First
> impressions are important.

Might be true, though fBSD has come as far as it has without the aid
of these Suits in question.  It's certainly not about to stop growth
without them.  But I don't disagree that having more support from
people that matter would be nice.

> P.S. I like beastie... but I like the OS much better!

Same here.  Though beastie is pretty seksii.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.