Date:      Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:18:01 -0500
From:      "B. Kyle Adkins" <bkyleadkins@cox.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Horrible installer (was: Re: FreeBSD 9)

I'm very new to FreeBSD but it seems to me that the installer is pretty much=
 ok.   My only wish is that there might be a little more info upfront somewh=
ere, preferably in the installer somewhere, about setting up for a dual boot=
.   I couldn't find in the handbook, (that may be my fault, don't know, but i=
 finally googled the info i needed, after thinking that I had inadvertently c=
ommitted my Windows slice into the abyss.  maybe that was a good thing, but.=
... =20

IMO though, the installer should be as lightweight and spare as possible, th=
at is, if the engineering dudes are writing it.  I would rather see them doi=
ng their fantastic work on the OS, not on the installer anyway.   Seems to m=
e that a full-featured GUI installer would be a good project for the communi=
ty?  (ok, yeah they could have left sysinstall alone, but so what???)  If yo=
u had to depend on sysinstall on a daily basis, i could see having issues wi=
th the change, but then again, if you are using it that often a custom insta=
ll script....something... would be better anyway.

from my point of view, I would rather learn how to do this by hand, because t=
hen i would come out learning a lot more, and  knowing more about my own sys=
tem.   Probably be next on my agenda.

since this is my first contact with the community, I would like to thank the=
 development folks properly for the awesome work that they do, and to those w=
ho contribute to this list.

Kyle Adkins
Sent from my iPad

On Jan 23, 2012, at 9:27 AM, Mark Felder <feld@feld.me> wrote:

> All of these complaints can go directly to /dev/null
>=20
> Just as you don't get to express your opinion about the government if you d=
on't vote, you don't get to express your opinion about -RELEASE changes when=
 you didn't run the STABLE/RC/BETAs. You had your chance to help improve Fre=
eBSD for everyone, assuming your concerns really are valid and far-reaching.=
 You opted out. No longer the core team's problem.