Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 18:32:00 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Turning PCs into Workstations

On Mon, Nov 03, 1997 at 12:10:46AM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:

>> I ran this by our marketing exec - he thinks it give associations to
>> "boy's rooms OS".  I tend to agree with him.
>>
>> He is usually quite good at this kind of stuff, but said he needed a
>> mission statement to be able to give it a go.
>>
>> So - what image do we want FreeBSD to project?
>>
>> My priorities are
>> * Professional
>> * Fast
>> * Powerful
>>
>> in that order.
>>
>> Can somebody else come up with a better definition of what we want to
>> communicate?
>
> You forgot the "freedom" bit in there.  It's my number one reason for
> using FreeBSD on a daily basis: you can do with it as you wish.  Nobody
> makes you sign, tear, click, or in any other way agree to a long list of
> unenforceable clauses to use, misuse, or abuse it.  You just have to
> agree to give credit where credit is due.
>
> Personally, I liked "FreeBSD: the Power to Serve" the best of the one-
> liners;

The more I think about this one, the more I like it.  Of course, it
has nothing to do with the preceding paragraph :-)

Do we have to limit ourselves to one slogan?  I agree it (they) should
be short, but there's no reason always to use the same one.  For
example, "the power to serve" in one context, "the original Internet
OS" (or whatever) in another, and maybe others in further contexts.

Greg