Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 18:20:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org (Kris Kennaway)
Cc:        jason@smethers.net (Jason Smethers), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD libc for Linux?

> > The statistical differences may be a result of your programs
> > use of the rand() family. Linux's GNU libc decided not to
> > implement these functions for backwards compatibility. Instead
> > it aliases these functions to the random() family.
>
> which is a legitimate thing to do according to the standards.
> FreeBSD fixed its rand() in -current too; anyone using the old version
> for simulations is likely to be getting sorely skewed data out because
> the algorithm is so non-random.

FreeBSD _broke_ its random number generator.

I wish the non-scientists who keep claiming that it is
legitimate to break this code, and who think that when you
multiply two random numbers that the result is "even more
random than before the multiply", and who think randomness
is more important than pseudo randomness...

would take a frigging 600 level college course in algorithms,
and read:

	The Art Of Computer Programming
	Volume 2: Seminumerical Algorithms
	Donald Knuth
	Addison-Wesley

In particular, they should read all of:

	Chapter 3 -- Random Numbers

In particular, section 3.2.1.3 discusses /potentcy/, while
section 3.2.2 discusses other methods.

See also the "spectral test" in section 3.3.4 for the definition
of "acceptably random".  AFAIK, the "improved" FreeBSD code has
not yet passed this test, which is currently the strongest test
known.

The purpose of rand() is to provide a sound mathematical basis
from which real work can be accomplished, not to make it so some
jackass can protect his password file with security through
obscurity, without having to get off their duff and expend any
effort.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---