Date:      Sun, 5 Feb 1995 18:45:10 -0500
From:      Gang-Ryung Uh <uh@eta.cs.fsu.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Microsoft Mouse for XFree86 3.1

Hi, all..

I know this is not the place to ask for XFree86..
Please bear with my question..

I bought a computer to run FreeBSD with X window:
I did install the FreeBSD 2.0 & XFree86 3.1..
(My computer is Micron P90 Powerstation plus..
If there is anybody who sucessfully install FreeBSD
2.0 with XFree86 3.1, then please let me know.)

After I spend quite a time with lots of help from you,
I can make at least x window run... But now my server is
not responding to my Microsoft mouse movement at all.

I did check LOG file by "% startx >& LOG", my mouse seemed
to be correctly probed by X server.. So I did check the
README file for X11R6. The author suggests a couple of ways
to detect the device for the mouse. Following is my observation;

    First>

    I did check that by using " % cat < /dev/tty00",
    but when the mouse is moved or clicked, it does not
    generate any output, instead it makes my system frozen...

    Second>

    So I did reboot my system, and I did check 2 things;

    % dmesg | grep sio
    sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
    sio1  ....
    sio2  .....
    sio3  ....

    % ls -l /dev/tty00
    crw-rw-rw  1  root  wheel    28, 0 ...

At this point, I do not know what is the problem and how to
make my mouse active for X server...

I will appreciate any help from you..

Thanks.

Regards,
--Uh

Uh Gang-Ryung

e-mail: uh@cs.fsu.edu
Work Phone: 644-3366

PS. I am a kind of being exhausted now......