Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 07:41:21 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
To:        westbay <westbay@seaple.icc.ne.jp>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No Java applets in FreeBSD?

Hi Michael,

westbay wrote:
> de Haan-san wrote:
>
> > When using KDE 2, the version of Konqueror that comes with it supports any
> > installed JDK. I haven't explicitly tried using JDK 1.2 or 1.3 features, but I
> > have configured Konqueror to use the Sun JDK 1.3.0_02/Linux. Konqueror has
> > improved a lot over ttime, trust me!
>
> Can is handle scripting (LiveScript) control of Java?  I couldn't the last
> time I tried it.

Well, AFAIK LiveScript is not a standard, but a Netscape feature. Thus I
believe Konqueror probably does not support it. You best chance would be
Netscape 6 in combination with J2SE v1.3.1. The latter is currently in beta,
but I read something about Netscape 6 compatibility in the release notes.

So if you don't need the LiveScript API, then Konqueror would be a very good
choice IMHO. If you do, then you should check out the Konqueror docs to see if
it does support LiveScript or a similar API. Otherwise Netscape 6 would be
your best bet.

Perhaps you could detail what docs you found, the steps you performed, etc.
and send them to this mailing list, I'm sure that there would be enough
helpful people to get to the bottom of this :)

Ernst

> I also tried very hard to get the Java Plugin to work with native (FreeBSD)
> and Linux versions of Mozilla 5/Netscape6, but to no avail.
>
> I think it was with the native built version that I got enough feedback to
> see what Linux *.so files it was wanting.  And I added, and added, and added
> them to no avail.  I wasn't sure how the FreeBSD ELF mozilla would handle
> the Linux ELF .so files, but it seemed to have at least been trying.
>
> The Netscape6 and RPM Mozilla 5's that I tried all seemed to have the debug
> information stripped, so I couldn't get any useful hints as to why it wasn't
> starting up the Linux 1.3.0_02 plugin.
>
> The Linux 1.3.0_02 plugin DOES WORD for Linux Netscape 4.7x on FreeBSD.  But
> alas, JavaScripting still isn't available.
>
> --
> Michael Westbay
> Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/
> Home:           http://www.seaple.icc.ne.jp/~westbay
> Commentary:     http://www.japanesebaseball.com/

Ernst de Haan
Java Architect
Jollem Information Technology

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ