Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 22:13:45 -0500
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@wallnet.com>
To:        "Clint Wilson" <clint@kconline.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Wavelan Ethernet Converter Help

While there may be a host of things that might be wrong, the first thing that
pops into my head when I see a "Status: No Carrier" is that the network name
(ssid) of the wireless network isn't properly set.

The syntax is:

ifconfig  (interface name) ssid (network id)
Or, in real-world terms... (from my network)

ifconfig wi0 ssid 0adf66

Then the status should say "associated"  (minus the quotation marks, of
course)

If you need to discover the name of your network (it's printed on the
Orinoco/WaveLan Residential Gateway Units), WaveLan provides a handy --but
Windows only, curse them-- tool called network discovery (or somesuch).  It's
part of the Client Manager Tools from their Winter 2001, release.  The older
software releases don't include this functionality AFAIK.

If this doesn't even approach to address the wuestions you have, please ask
again and provide some more details.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT