Date:      Mon, 05 Jan 1998 12:38:43 -0500
From:      Geoffrey Robinson <grobin@accessv.com>
To:        Charlie Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't Access Apache Manual Files (THANK GOD)

Charlie Roots wrote:

> Hi Brian,
> Thank God someone (you) have finally answered Mr. Geoffrey for his
> very simple question, that kept popping up day after day for the past
> week or so.
>
> I wonder if one should ask the same question to the same people over
> and over again, in ALL the possible ways.
>
> Apparently the cause was that he was asking for something that simply
> DID NOT EXIST in life.
>
> Man, you'll find over 90 % of people who installed Apache and have a
> working Web Site, did manage even without reading a single document.
>
> But to Mr. Geoffrey, the case is different, the problem is that if the
> time wasted to repeatedly ask the question was devoted to try setting
> up the THING he would have discovered that it is not that dangerous to
> his health or difficult at AALLLLLL.
>
> But as psychiatrists like to say, there are some ANAL personalities,
> (THIS IS A SCIENTIFIC TERM, SO DO NOT TAKE IT OTHERWISE), these are
> people who are always asking themselves while typing on the keyboard,
> "ARE MY FINGER TIPS CLEAN ???) ;-/
>
> Sorry if I came hard on you Geoffrey, but please try this 'VERY RISKY
> ;-)' procedure of setting up Apache before reading the docs at the
> mentioned URL, and if you fail, so ALL of you , FLAEM ME !!

Well, what to say other then I did have a working apache site before
reading anything, but a book I was flipping through referred me to the
docs. But that's not important here.

Anyway, I realize that I frequent this list often and would be dead in
the water without it. If I do something that some people feel is
inappropriate or just plane annoying I would welcome a polite, private
e-mail explaining what I am doing wrong since I am new and likely to
make mistakes. But this type of attack is just plain mean and uncalled
for.

In my defense I only posted the question once, the other posts where
CC'd threads between my and some other people and I only CC'd them
because most other posters do that. Maybe you feel that my questions are
not of a level worthy of being CC'd to this list but I do it anyway on
the off chance that I am not the only person that started using a new OS
and didn't already know exactly how to use it! Maybe, just maybe some
other users may benefit from me asking these questions and at least they
wont have to put up with being harassed for asking.

Anyway, thanks Sue Blake and Brian Clapper for standing up for me. This
is all I'm going to say about this.

- Mr. Geoffrey