Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 12:25:11 -0500
From:      Prashant Dongre <pdongre@opentech.stpn.soft.net>
To:        Jerry Kelley <jerryk@iquest.net>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail on a firewall box

Jerry Kelley wrote:

> sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
> >

> > > I just want one box that provides the services to my small LAN. I want
> > > that box to be the mail host for my company and also provide a
> > > firewall/proxy service.
> >
> > Sounds like you should buy a Whistle Interjet :-) (www.whistle.com)
>
> Yeah, well, the ISP's around here haven't even heard of the Interjet.
> Besides, it's not that economical. I can build a FreeBSD box and
> configure
> it for much less money!
>

> > Anyway, given sendmail past history I'd feel very uncomfortable with
> > sendmail in any sort of security-related function. Why don't you look
> > at qmail (www.qmail.org) instead? This was written with security in
> > mind.
>
> Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it. It's interesting how some will
> say that it's OK to run sendmail on the firewall box and others will
> cringe at it!
>

> > I hope by "Internet access point" you don't mean for users to actually
> > login to the firewall box? This is generally considered a bad idea.
>
> No. The box will be dedicated to providing Interjet-like services for
> my LAN. It will not be used by any users other than the administrator
> for administration.

I am doing the same thing what you are planning to do (for last two years...).
But I have made a little change, I have my firewall on on FreeBSD box and mail
on other FreeBSD box. The Firewall FreeBSD double-up as my secondary mail server
as well as HTTP proxy server.

On all these boxes the login shells have been disabled and users access only
thru POP server.

I am quite happy with this setup and keep my other FreeBSD box as hot stand-by
if in case the mail router/Firewall crashes.

I need to look at 'Whistle' though, let me know if you find that interesting.

Prashant.