Date:      Fri, 9 May 1997 11:42:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      sramkris@ichips.intel.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kern/3569: ex0 driver doesn't work with EtherExpress Pro/10 Board

>Number:         3569
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       ex0 driver doesn't work with EtherExpress Pro/10 Board
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
the OS doesn't seem to want to use the ex0 driver to send any packets out the wire.
I was able to figure out after exhaustive investigation using tools
like tcpdump and other net tools to find out where the packets are going.
Essentially if I try to ping anything that isn't local, it will time
out or say "no route to host" error.

If it was only my system I might possibly concede that it might be mis-configured.
However, it has not worked on two different extremes.  A two computer LAN at
home didn't work and it didn't work on a production network here at Intel Corp.

The behavior is exactly the same, not able to communicate with the outside world.
The same board works fine under the Windows environment.

I'm not sure what other information to give you.  We've tried about
everything one could do.

I find it hard to believe that the driver made it past beta test in a broken
state, so there must be a part of the puzzle that we have not looked
it.  If anybody in the team has gotten EtherExpress Pro working we
would like to know how it was done.  Thanks!
>How-To-Repeat:
Install a EtherExpress Pro/10 board on a Pentium class machine.
>Fix:
No fix that I know of.