Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 00:41:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      merlin@ghostwheel.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bin/9484: False error while adding a user, whose uid begins with a number, via sysinstall

>Number:         9484
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       False error while adding a user, whose uid begins with a number, via sysinstall
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I was trying to add a user named '2grnflcn' to my system via
/stand/sysinstall and was given the error that this user already exists.

Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de> followed up on my mailing to the
freebsd-current mailing list with the following information:

> The error is somewhere in pw(8) - from a quick point of view it
> seems as if pw will assume that a user with a loginname starting
> with a digit has that UID, so in your case pw (which is called by
> sysinstall) found that the user you specified already existed and
> had the the UID 2.
> This clearly is a bug, you might file a PR on this topic.
>How-To-Repeat:
Attemt to use /stand/sysinstall to create a user whose username begins
with the digits of a UID that already exists.  ie '2blowup' '9mine' etc.