Date:      Tue, 9 May 1995 17:29:16 -0700
From:      asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Statically-linked Motif binaries suck

 * > I think so too.  I even converted a program I wrote (kp, joining the
 * > ports collection soon) from Motif to Tcl/Tk. :)
 *
 *     Feel like converting over other people's programs?  :)

No way.  You find me the time to do all that. ;)

 *     Well, lemme figure out how to *make* a proper port first, then you
 * can go and change it all on me.  :)

Ok...well, just make it compile using shared libXm (the default,
right?), and we'll see how we can hack that into producing static-Xm
versions too.

 *     My impression is that a lot of the really nice "productivity"
 * applications (databases, rolodexes, day planners/calendars, text
 * editors) are built with Motif.  Definitely Joe Home User will find
 * useful.  Hackers will probably prefer stuff like mgdiff or ddd.  :)
 * With the size of the static binaries, we are going to *need* a CD-ROM
 * to distribute the stuff.  :-/

One problem though, is that the static Motif binaries use up lots of
memory as well as disk space, 'cause the code can't be shared between
different executables.  Oh well.

Any comments on the package links, people?  Even if we can't get it
into bsd.port.mk, we can at least put them on the CD by creating the
links by hand if we can agree on the policy and Brian can figure out
how to make packages. :)

Satoshi