Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 08:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/27334: load average constantly above 1.0, even when idle

The following reply was made to PR kern/27334; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To: seth@psychotic.aberrant.org
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:40:23 +0100

 In message <20010515140113.D071672501@psychotic.aberrant.org>, seth@psychotic.a
 berrant.org writes:

 >This sounds similar to kern/21155, but occurs in -STABLE rather than
 >-CURRENT.  It didn't happen on my old system (a dual-proc ppro 200), but
 >there are so many differences: smp, 4.0 (vs -stable) that it's not a good
 >comparison.

 Hi, could you try downloading

 	http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~iedowse/FreeBSD/loadps.tgz

 and extracting the tarfile somewhere (/tmp or whatever). Then in the
 "loadps" directory, type:

 	make
 	./loadps axlww

 This should show up all processes that are currently contributing to
 the load average. That should at least begin to narrow down what
 is causing these phantom load effects.

 (loadps is a normal -STABLE ps with a small adjustment that causes it
 see only processes that are contributing to the load average - this
 logic is copied from loadav() in sys/vm/vm_meter.c).

 Ian