Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2001 03:19:12
From:      "george vagner" <kf7nn@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   larger Ide drive and 4.0

I am trying to install 4.0 from cdrom onto a maxtor
40.1 gig drive, my mb is a FIC socket 7 style with a pretty
new bios, there is no update for the bios yet.
I am not new to installations I have about 6 or 7 freebsd machines
running. I tried using both dangerously dedicated and compatible
modes with the following results

dangerously dedicated gives boot 0:ad(0,a)/kernel which is correct
but will not boot.

compatible mode gives Missing operating system

slices are as follows  500M /, 500M /var, 200 M /swap, 10000M /usr
leaving 28.8 gig for /web

I have another machine exactly the same and i think i had to split
it up into 20 gig partitions before i could install.

this is a maxtor 40.1 gig drive.
the bios does detect the correct size of the disk in bootup.

so i want to ask if 4.0 has a limit on bootable IDE partitions?

I know its old 4.0 but my 4.1 cd got wrecked and i will cvsup as soon
as i get it to install.

thanks

George