Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:23:29 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kent Hamilton <KHamilton@Hunter.COM>, David Dooley <dpd@raffles-it.com>
Cc:        Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, dpd@dribble.lan.raffles-it.com
Subject:   Re: Vinum incidents.

On Tuesday, 16 January 2001 at 22:35:33 +0000, David Dooley wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> I am afraid that I had the same problems with a Raid 5 vinum disk using 7 9GB
> Compaq/Segate drives. I created a 50GB volume for user home directories and it
> had very low traffic volumes. I managed to recover a stale drive on several
> occasions, but every couple of days it would go stale again. I have now moved
> the data from the Raid 5 Volume to another volume that is built with mirrored
> drives. I rebuilt the raid volume a several more times, made a file system on
> it and mounted it and that was it, after several days with no traffic to the
> drives no messages saying that there were any problems it still went stale.
> The system stayed up through out and nothing appeared in any logs that I could
> find. The annoying thing to me was that a different drive or combination of
> drives went stale each time so I couldn't pin the problem down to a drive. I
> did try alternate termination and cables with no luck. I even swapped the
> termination with a an identically configured system the same problem
> reappeared, but didn't move across the systems with the changed hardware so I
> don't think the problem is with the hardware.

Please don't assume that just because you've had problems, that
they've had the same cause.  I'd prefer to treat all problems as
unrelated until I see proof that they're related, and so far I haven't
seen this.

> At some point I will follow Greg Lehey's web site requirements for
> trouble shooting and send the required info to him for
> analysis. Greg's web site is at
> http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html

Please do.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.