Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 09:27:12 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "Jason Cribbins" <jasonc@concentric.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_GET): Protocol not available

> I just added the following to my kernel config and rebuilt it:
> options         IPDIVERT
>
> Now I get the following when I try to show, list or add a divert for natd:
> 3:45pm ns1:/ # ipfw show
> ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_GET): Protocol not available
> 3:45pm ns1:/ # ipfw list
> ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_GET): Protocol not available
> 3:45pm ns1:/ # ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via lnc0
> ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Protocol not available
> 3:46pm ns1:/ #

Jason,

try:
# grep IPFIREWALL /sys/i386/conf/LINT

There are a number of options you might want to include in your own kernel
config, and then (sigh) rebuild the kernel once more.

PS:  While you are about it try:
# grep DUMMYNET /sys/i386/conf/LINT

DUMMYNET can be very useful (for traffic shaping), and it works on top of
the IPFIREWALL stuff.  You don't need to do any config for it at all, until
you are ready to use it, so why not put the support in right away?

Patrick.