Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 20:30:51 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@chain.iafrica.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, mark@grondar.za, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> /etc/sysconfig; change:
> 	tcp_extensions=YES
> to:
> 	tcp_extensions=NO

Cool - have done so.

> Well, I don't think a routing problem would effect the speed; if there
> were a route problem, the packets just wouldn't get through in one
> direction or the other or both.  For a PPP link, it's not something
> like "they get through, only slowly" like you would get with an
> ethernet card with a bogus IRQ setting (only for some cards).

But I have specified certain gateways, etc which might not be the fastest
/ proper way of doing this.

> The advantage is they enable transactioning.  You'd need to read the
> new Steven's book for a full explanation, but basically, it cuts
> packet overhead in about half.

This machine is not on a network; so, as I understand it, don't need
it with PPP ?

> There was a discussion of this on the -hackers list a while back, asking
> about relative compression statistics when compared to Linux.  The Linux
> numbers were several orders of magnitude better (ie: compression was
> used more frequently) than BSD because of the compression defeat cause
> by the header "changes" by T/TCP.

So i.o.w disabling this will make the BSD speed comparable to Linux ?
---
Thanx,
Khetan Gajjar
Visit at http://www.iafrica.com/~khetan/index.html