Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 14:05:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, davidg@Root.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

> > >    We have to remove sio3 because we can't disable it by default and it
> > > conflicts with the most common SVGA cards.
> >
> > That's a plausible argument but I remind you that we've been through several
> > releases with sio3 enabled.
>
> Yes, but 'newer' SVGA cards *now* blow up when sio3 is enabled.  In the
> past this wasn't a big deal, but even in 2.1R we had quite a few folks
> who got wiped out by sio3 (read Usenet), and this is only going to get
> worse with the faster S3/ATI/Mach cards becoming more commonplace.

I posted the assembly code used to detect these cards once already.

If you don't probe the location because of an existing conflict with
a registration from the console driver, then you don't have a problem.

Look at the ATI home page.  The assembly code is posted there (as well
as being in the -current list archives, thanks to me).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.