Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 23:18:03 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 02:07:55PM -0700, Amancio Hasty wrote:
> Next, is can you come up with a simple benchmark to test the floating
> point optimization for Pentium classes or higher?

Not easily, no.  Robert Nordier had som FP code he was compiling with
it.  I have no floating point intensive code, and I run on an atypical
platform (the Pentium Pro, which has a quite different profile than
the Pentium. The P-II is supposedly like the Pentium).

>From looking at the optimizations passes I can say that it should be
at least as fast as gcc for 386, 486, and Pentium Pros, faster for
Pentiums, and I don't know for P-IIs - I have never really
experimented to find the performance profile for the P-IIs.

Eivind.