Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 21:37:46 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/disklabel disklabel.8 disklabel.c

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> >  The magic sequence is:
> >
> >  	disklabel -r -w sdX auto
> >  	disklabel -e sdX
>
> This seems to only work on dangerously dedicated disks, and labelling
> those is easy using standard features:
>
> 	disklabel /dev/rsdX |
> 	sed -e s'/interleave: 0$/interleave: 1/' \
> 	    -e s'/rpm: 0$/rpm: 3600/' \
> 	    -e s'/^[1-7] partitions/8 partitions/' |
> 	disklabel -r -R sdX /dev/stdin
>   	disklabel -e sdX
>
> This gives the same label as auto for the same drives that auto works on.

Of course.  But ``disklabel ... auto'' is way more convenient if it
comes to Usenet support.  I've simply been tired from singing the same
prayer over and over again...

Well, i'm aware that i've stolen the word "auto" from the possible
name space of /etc/disktab :), but i think the added value justifies
this.

> It gives the same bogus values for the interleave and the rpm and the
> same maximal number of partitions.

Deliberately.  I don't think we support more than 8 partitions, and
the bogus rpm and interleave values are not used that much anyways
(since newfs uses a bogus geometry by default).  People who are eager
to modify it will be able doing so in the following disklabel -e, it's
just that a label is required that will be acceptable to be written to
the disk.

> Neither aproach works so well for slices.  I decided not to implement
> dummy labels for slices, so that the success of DIOCGDINFO tells whether
> the slice is really labeled.  This was probably a mistake.

Yup, i have only been able to test it on a non-sliced disk (due to the
lack of a sliced one around me :), i was silently hoping that
DIOCGDINFO would return the bogus label for a slice too -- it does
even for a CDROM. ;-)

I've rather hacked this since it was a ``Frequently Requested Item'',
not since it's the cleanest solution i could ever think of.  I'm still
in the hope that somebody feels challenged enough to wrap a nice tool
around libdisk for adding a new disk with a better user-interaction.
disklabel ... auto is only intended for people who do already know how
to use disklabel(8), just to save them the dirty work.

--
cheers, J"org