Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:55:12 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Many processes stuck in zfs

Am 10.03.2010 um 12:35 schrieb Ollivier Robert:

> According to Stefan Bethke:
>> The situation seems to be triggered by zfs receive'ing snapshots from =
the sister machine (both synchronize their active ZFS filesystems to =
each other, using zfs send and zfs receive).  It appears it's the =
receiving causing trouble.
>=20
> Have you tuned kern.maxvnodes in /etc/sysctl.conf?
>=20
> When I move to this new machine, I forgot to get it much higher than =
the default (now I use 200000) and it was locking up pretty soon.  Had =
not a single lockup now.

I haven't, it's at the default of 100000.  How would I be able to tell =
if that limit is being reached?

Right now:
$ sysctl kern.maxvnodes vfs.numvnodes vfs.freevnodes
kern.maxvnodes: 100000
vfs.numvnodes: 87287
vfs.freevnodes: 24993
and on the sister host:
$ sysctl kern.maxvnodes vfs.numvnodes vfs.freevnodes
kern.maxvnodes: 100000
vfs.numvnodes: 87681
vfs.freevnodes: 7600

Is there a rule of thumb what maxvnodes should be tuned to?

Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811