Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 00:01:30 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        Sm0ke <sm0ke@mindspring.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I have a quick question......

On Mon 1998-08-31 (16:00), Sm0ke wrote:
> I'm "head oper" on an IRC Server thats running BSD as the OS and I need to
> know where to find hosts.allow and hosts.deny and how to edit them, I can't
> find them on the machine and I really do need them! and How would I change
> the port number on the Telnet ? Right now its using the default port (23)
> and I would like to change that to another port number for more security.

Firstly, go install /usr/ports/security/tcp_wrappers, if you want to use
hosts.allow and hosts.deny.  If you've used tcp wrappers before, it should be
a cinch.  Look at the hosts_access, tcpd, hosts_options man pages once you've
install the port.  You may want to update your ports collection before you do
this, if you're not running a reasonably new release
(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cvsup.html).

To add a telnet daemon on another port, add an entry for the new port in
/etc/services (man services for help), and then copy the existing telnet
entry in /etc/inetd.conf (man inetd.conf for help)

If you want more security, install the ssh port (/usr/ports/security/ssh).
This port will encrypt traffic when you use the ssh client to connect to a
ssh server.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner