Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2003 08:36:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq FORTRAN

Douglas K. Rand writes:
 > $ ld -shared -o libcxml_ev6.so -soname libcxml.so -whole-archive libcxml_ev6.a -no-whole-archive -lfor -lUfor -lFutil -lcpml -lots

<..>

 > $ ldd /usr/lib/compaq/cfal/f90_split
 > /usr/lib/compaq/cfal/f90_split:
 > /usr/lib/compaq/cfal/f90_split: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libcpml.so: ELF file OS ABI invalid
 > /usr/lib/compaq/cfal/f90_split: exit status 127
 >
 > Can anybody provide some direction? It feels like I'm close to getting
 > the FORTRAN compiler working, and if I can, I don't have to install
 > Linux on this box.  :)

I think you're close.  What you might want to try to do is to install
linux_devtools (or linux_devtools7, whichever matches your
linux_base), and then build those libs using the linux ld.  Put the
results into /compat/linux/usr/lib.

The linux version should be found first when running a linux binary,
and the native versions you've produced will be found when a native
FreeBSD binary runs.

You also might want to take a peek at the Makefile for
ports/lang/compaq-cc.  It does many of the same things you are trying
to do.  Good luck!

Drew