Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:49:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>, stable@FreeBSD.org, qa@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cputype=486

On 12-Mar-01 Larry Rosenman wrote:
> Not in the log I posted.  isatty is NOT that large, so what ever this is,
> is after isatty in the executable.

*sigh*

isatty() is in libc.  That's the only place that that code comes from.
It doesn't live in the executable's object files or source at all, so
it has to be coming from some copy of libc.

> I wonder if something forgot to pick up the /usr/obj libraries, since the
> HOST system *IS* compiled with -march=pentiumpro.

Now that could be.

> This is valid, isn't it? (to compile on one box, and install on another
> with DIFFERENT /etc/make.conf settings)?

Well, as Jim pointed out, not really.  This is why releases are built
from scratch inside of a clean "white-room" chroot.  Regardless, the
libc in /usr/obj should be used when compiling static binaries during
world.  (Dynamic binaries should still need to make sure they use
/usr/lib/libc.so for their rpath, though if we don't use rpath, I guess
they could be linked against the libc.so in usr/obj as well, but a
bintools/linker person (jdp/obrien) should be asked about that
to be sure).