Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 05:44:30 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Fl=FCgel?= <Jeff.Kelly@t-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install FreeBSD via DSL?

Christian Flügel wrote:

>Hello Folks,
>
>I want to do an ftp install of freebsd via dsl but couldn't find anything
>about it in the Handbook or on the web.
>
>Has anybody already done this if it is possible? And could this someone
>please give me advice?

I think it really depends on how your DSL connection is presented to
your machine.

If it is as an ethernet port, on the back of a DSL router for example,
then you can just add a NIC to your FreeBSD system and tell sysinstall
to do an FTP install using the NIC. FreeBSD should be configured with
IPs and DNS servers however you normally configure machines to use your
DSL connection.

If you need PPP over Ethernet, this is do-able using the information on
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoe.html -
When you install FreeBSD you can just tell sysinstall that you are doing
a modem install, and it will then start ppp on a seperate console and
leave you to make the connection. Typing in the commands that the above
pages tells you to put into the config file should enable you to bring
up the PPPoE connection.

If you need PPP over ATM, it is considerably more difficult.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoa.html
explains that the only PPPoA support comes from a net/pppoa port which
is not available during installation. Given this, it may be easier to
download some ISOs of FreeBSD CDs over your DSL connection and do a
local install from CD.

>Install via modem is possible so I assume that the pppd is already on one of
>the bootdisks but somehow I do not seem to be able to access a console
>during installation and therefore I am not able to configure the ppp so that
>it uses the Network adapter.

Actually it is ppp not pppd that is on the bootdisk. When you select a
modem install ppp is started for you and you are given the opportunity
to set it up however you want.

Hope this helps!

Andrew.