Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 12:28:56 -0500
From:      mhassett@fhsu.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with Intel EtherExpress Pro

We just received a new server, which I have already installed FreeBSD 4.0
on.  The motherboard is an AOPEN DX6G+ DUAL PIII 440GX, and it has an
onboard Intel EtherExpress Pro  10/100 network adaptor.  I also have a 3Com
3C905B pci card in this system.  The 3Com card works fine, however the
Intel does not seem to work.  When I boot the system up the Intel adaptor
is detected as Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet adaptor, and uses
the fxp driver.  If I do not configure the 3Com card and I configure the
Intel, I can ping the IP address I assign to the card, but I can not reach
any other host, not even hosts on the same IP network.

I am still setting it up, so it is on a bench with a 10M 1/2 duplex
connection, however I tried hooking it up to a 100M 1/2 duplex hub also.
The link lights changed to reflect the faster speed, but It still did not
work.

Some times if I try pinging another host within a few sec of the system
finishing the boot process, I can ping other hosts.

I even took the 3Com adaptor out to see if that would make a difference,
but it didn't.

Is there an updated fxp driver, or is there any known issues with these
cards and 4.0. This is new hardware and a new version of FreeBSD also, so I
don't know if it is the hardware or software.

(I guess I could put Win98 on just to see if it is the hardware, but I
don't really want to.)

Thanks in advance for any information anyone has.

Andrew Fleming
Fort Hays State University Computing Center
Phone: (785) 628-4433
E-mail: afleming@fhsu.edu