Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 20:11:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      K.Greenwood <k_greenwood1@sluggy.net>
To:        benf@nexgen.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE:BSD Strains

Considering no one else has responded, I may as well give a generic response....

FreeBSD is a BSD that is based on the x86 architecture.

NetBSD is portable... to everything.

OpenBSD is secure.  Apparently, auditing of code is standard.

BSD Lite is the original BSD that was created from the whole phone company legal situation that occured.

Perhaps all BSD's are decendants of this (at least FreeBSD is of 4.4 Lite).

Hopefully if I made any mistakes somebody will correct me.

Benjamin Flom:

I am involved in planning the beginnings of an ISP. We plan to do web/ftp/streaming media/transactions/remote storage/etc....

I am trying to understand the differences between FreeBSD, NetBSD, BSD Lite,
OpenBSD, etc. Any info that can be provided would be helpful.