Date:      29 May 2000 21:52:44 +0200
From:      Peter Mutsaers <peter@mutsaers.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Switching to FreeBSD from Windows

>> "B" =3D=3D BWS  <- Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>> writes:

    B> Going from Windows directly to FreeBSD as your first Unix
    B> system ever may be very frustrating.  I have been using Unix
    B> systems for years and still get frustrated and stumped at

    B> FreeBSD does have a GUI interface and you can install Gnome or
    B> KDE which are both pretty good once you have them installed and
    B> configured to suit you, but you have to do some work to get
    B> them there.  FreeBSD can also do sound and has decent support
    B> for fonts, but not to the level as other desktop oriented
    B> systems.

All are available as ports. The initial desktop interface, should you
need it, is available on installation.

    B> Perhaps you would find it easier to start with Linux which does
    B> strive to create a friendly desktop environment.  If you spent
    B> the $30 to buy a CD set at Best Buy you will also get phone
    B> support to get past any problems right away.

Noooo! That might scare away some people right away from UNIX.

What is wrong with starting directly with a real UNIX? I did (coming
from Atari/DOS, 14 years ago) and many others did, especially in times
that Linux etc. didn't exist yet.=20

Apparently you are assuming that the person is stupid/low-IQ just
because he is running Win98. You might be wrong.

For someone that can read a manual/handbook and can think, I'm sure it
is much more rewarding to directly start with the consistent and
well-documented environment of FreeBSD, even though it does somewhat
less automatic detections and magic.=20

For generations people (with brains) started on UNIX right away
without problems. Why would that be impossible or inadvisable today?!?

--=20
Peter Mutsaers     |  D=FCbendorf     | Trust me, I know
peter@mutsaers.com |  Switzerland   | what I'm doing.