Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 21:23:51 -0400
From:      "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@shiningsilence.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Finding FreeBSD disk with boot menu

I am having trouble with booting into FreeBSD.

I have my primary IDE master drive booting Windows.  There was no primary
slave.  The Freebsd disk was the secondary IDE master.  My CDROM is SCSI.

I added a primary IDE slave drive.  My boot menu (booteasy) used to do a
strange double selection thing, where it would ask twice what disk I wanted
to boot from.  (I assume this is because I accidentally installed it on both
master drives.)

Windows will boot OK.  However, I get a "Previous disk failed.." message when
I select FreeBSD, and have to book by using a fixit floppy and telling it
"2:ad(2,a)/kernel".  I'm assiming something in the boot process for my
FreeBSD drive is screwy, but I can't identify it.  I've tried a variety of
things with fdisk.

Anyone have suggestions for me?  Please cc: them to
justin@shiningsilence.com, as I'm not regularly following this list.

Justin