Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 18:48:40 -0500
From:      Andrew Herdman <andrew@why.whine.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Crash doing make world.

I get the following crash doing a make world on current (sup'd last
night).  I haven't been able to build a make world in over two weeks due
to these crashes.  It was building libg++ when the following occured:

fault virtual address   = 0x24
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf017dce0
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffeb0
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xefbffebc
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 13794 (cc1plus)
interrupt mask          = net bio
panic: page fault

---------------------Kernel Configuration File-------------------------
machine		"i386"
cpu		"I586_CPU"
ident		WHY
maxusers	10

options		"MAXMEM=(96*1024)"
options		"CLK_USE_I586_CALIBRATION"
options		"CLK_USE_I8254_CALIBRATION"
options		"I586_FAST_BCOPY"
options		"SHOW_BUSYBUFS"
options		"SYSVSHM"
options		"SYSVSEM"
options		"SYSVMSG"
options		"SHMMAX=16777216"
options		"SHMALL=16384"
options		"INET"
options		"MROUTING"
options		"FFS"
options		"MSDOSFS"
options		"CD9660"
options		"PROCFS"
options		"KERNFS"
options		"COMPAT_43"
options		"UCONSOLE"
options		"FAT_CURSOR"
options		"SCSI_DELAY=3"
options		"NCONS=5"
options		"NSWAPDEV=5"
options		"DUMMY_NOPS"
options		"KTRACE"
options		"NMBCLUSTERS=128"
options		"COMPAT_LINUX"
options		"LINUX"
options		"CHILD_MAX=128"
options		"OPEN_MAX=128"
options		"USER_LDT"
options		"AUTO_EOI_1"
options		"ATAPI"
options		"ATAPI_STATIC"
options		"FAILSAFE"

config		kernel	root on sd0 swap on sd0

controller	isa0
controller	pci0
controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
controller	bt0
controller	ncr0
controller	scbus0	at bt0
controller	scbus1	at ncr0
controller	snd0
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr

disk	fd0	at fdc0 drive 0

device	wcd0
device	sd0	at scbus0 target 0
device	sd1	at scbus0 target 1
device	sd2	at scbus0 target 2
device	sd3	at scbus0 target 3
device	sd4	at scbus0 target 4
device	sd10	at scbus1 target 0
device	st0
device	cd0
device	sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
device	npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr
device	sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device	sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device	lpt0	at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
device	joy0	at isa? port "IO_GAME"
device	sb0	at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device	sbxvi0	at isa? drq 6
device	sbmidi0	at isa? port 0x330
device	opl0	at isa? port 0x388 conflicts
device	ed1	at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd0000 vector edintr
device	dgb0	at isa? port 0x100 iomem 0xfc0000 iosiz ? tty

pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device	log
pseudo-device	speaker
pseudo-device	vn
pseudo-device	ccd		4
pseudo-device	tun		4
pseudo-device	pty		32
pseudo-device	bpfilter	4
pseudo-device	disc
-----------------End of Kernel Configuration File-------------------------

The make world environment is a chroot'd onto sd10a on the ncr controller.
I've also noticed that sometimes sup'ping to this disk also cause panics.
The bt0 bus has not caused any problems at all.  I'm wondering if the
problem lies with the NCR driver, perhaps it was sick when I last made
world (i think it was around the time 1014-SNAP was released).

I'd like to provide the dumps (vmcore.0 and kernel.0) but with 96mb of ram
they are huge... and i've only got 28.8k.  I waiting to see how gzip does
on it.  But if you need the info perhaps giving me the commands to get the
info required would be the easiest.

I appreciate any help into this problem and will do what I can to help
from my end.

Thanks
  Andrew