Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 15:57:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Paul Halliday <dp@penix.org>
To:        Ian Morrison <ian@darq.net>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel screwup

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Ian Morrison wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 10:18:53AM -0500, Paul Halliday wrote:
>
> > Long story short. After a reboot I noticed this error, no problem I will
> > just boot kernel.old :( I must be tired . Ok, one more option
> > kernel.GENERIC. Thought I was safe but that kernel refuses to boot due
> > to init dropping core for some strange reason.
>
> > Any ideas on how I can mount the fs so I can change my mistakes?
> > FYI, its my laptop.
>
> You could try booting from an install floppy/cd and using an emergency
> shell to mount(8) the relevant partitions.  if after that it's looking
> difficult to fix (if say, all your binaries are refusing to run) then
> you can reinstall your machine from cd/net/whatever as if it were an
> upgrade.  This should give you a working system again, allowing you to
> reconfigure and compile.

While in transit I played around with it a bit more. And this is what
I came up with:

-Tried from the "live" second cd (couldn't mount the filesystem).
-Using the installation media to give me an emergency shell (couldn't
mount the FS)
-Tried picoBSD which lets me mount the FS but awfully hard to transfer
a 2mb file via a pcmcia interface when picoBSD doesn't have support for
it.
 -Last ditch effort, the "upgrade option" from sysinstall. Selected a
couple of packages too add ,it let's you mount the FS's and then compiled
the kernel on it's EHS. Simple reboot without returning to the upgrade
shit and all is good. :)

They should make it a bit easier ;)

> hope that helps,

Thanks!