Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:06:02 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1044126362.d979f8@mired.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Which files and directories to backup?

In <20030127132927.F32694-100000@zoraida.natserv.net>, Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com> typed:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Mike Meyer wrote:
>
> > > Other files won't create as much headaches as fstab if copied over by
> > > mistake.
> >
> > Oh yeah? What about rc.conf? Your firewall config, if any? password?
> > Seems like they *all* create nasty headaches if copied over by
> > mistake. The solution to that problem is *not* to not back things up,
> > it's to NOT DO THAT.
>
> Again my case is:
> * Machine died
> * Install Fresh OS in new HD/machine
> * Restore to some "Restore" directory
> * Move/Copy files as needed.
>
> In such case I do want to use the same rc.conf, rc.firewall AS IS.
> Fstab on the other hand could clobber the installation.

Ok, I get it. You probably still want a copy of fstab, so you have a
record of things you can mount other than backed up file systems and
the things created by the install. If you never touch fstab after the
install, then you don't need to back it up.

> Backups is one of those things that one usually sets up once and then
> forgets that it needs to be revised periodically. I am jut glad I am
> revising it before I need them and not as a result of having lost needed
> data.

You should set up a cron job to do this backup for you once a
day. That way, it'll always be reasonably current.

	<mike